Monday, December 31, 2012

Senggigi

Okay so I've only been here a few hours, but I'm not impressed. I've stowed my stuff in my room and had a wander round the strip and had a swim at the beach.
The room is expensive. It's a single room with a tiny balcony that looks on to the other rooms, a mandi and squat toilet. That's not so bad but it should be about 150 to 200,000 rupiah tops, not 350,000. Danny explained to me the way it works here at the moment. He called many hotels and backpackers on the way here and they were all full, so we had to go through an agent. The agents know there will be an influx of tourists around this time so they buy up a bunch of rooms. They then on-sell them at a premium. For example, he could offer me one night in a modern hotel, air-conditioning, wide-screen tv, pool, spa, the works for $130 - but he had pre-paid for it at $100. I know it's just business and maybe it doesn't work out for him this time because I didn't take the room and maybe he won't get anyone else and will have to eat the $100 but it pushes up the prices for everyone. He tried really hard too.
"It has an Indonesian toilet".
No worries.
"It's very near to the mosque".
Great, I love the call to prayer.
"I'll make a package for you. One night in $130 hotel, one night in $35 homestay, 5 nights on Gili Meno for $250. Plus discount, whole package for $400".
I don't think I need to pay $50 on Gili Meno, I spoke to someone that was there yesterday and they said it was nearly empty.
"Ah! that was yesterday. Everyone is leaving Trawangan now to go to the quieter islands".
I'll take my chances. Let's go to the homestay.
*sigh* "Okay".
Maybe I've been spoilt by Kuta but the beach here is bad. The black sand and broken coral, the litter, the profusion of boats and their ropes, plus the open drain that empties into the centre, make it very unappealing. I walked right down to the south end of the beach and it wasn't too bad, white sand, no rubbish. Hell of a rip though, I had to swim to stay in one spot. I had to walk back all along the beach to get back to the main strip, any shorter route has been fenced off by resort hotels.
I think this place will probably go off for New Year's tonight. The main strip is essentially a line of bars and they are all busy putting up decorations and installing huge sound systems. The bugle sellers are out in force.
Looking forward to lunch with Claire and Bill tomorrow though.












No comments:

Post a Comment