Saturday, December 22, 2012

Kuta

Well, I'm here in Kuta and it's the usual bedlam, non-stop traffic and noise.
When I arrived at the airport the customs man was sure I was up to something. The humidity had hit me instantly and every pore in my body had opened up. He looked at me quizzically and asked "Are you okay sir?" I said that I was just hot but he looked at me like he didn't believe me. He proceeded to go through every single item of my luggage, closely inspecting everything and asking me questions about what I was going to be doing, and where was I going? It didn't help that I had no concrete plans and so sounded rather vague. He gave up in the end but I think he was left with a niggling doubt that he had missed something.
I know why the hotel was so reasonably priced now. It's quite a way out of the main town. The taxi driver had to make a phone call and ask at two security guard posts before he could find it.
I've booked the Perama bus to Padang Bai for tomorrow, leaving at 10 o'clock (60,000 rupiah, 10,700 to the AUS$1 is the street rate at the moment). I plan to spend two days in Padang Bai so that I can wind down a bit.
Something of note in Kuta is that all the main streets have had the pavements fixed up. They're all looking rather smart now. No more cracked sewer drain holes to hop over.

No comments:

Post a Comment