Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Gili Air

Danny picked me up this morning and drove me Bangsal to catch the public boat to the Gilis. On the drive over I told him I was going to stay on Gili Air for a few days and then spend a couple of days in Ubud before heading home. "We can write you a new ticket for that", he says. What the hell, why not. $35 later, I have an open ticket, straight to Gili Air - fast boat x 2 back to Padangbai - car to Ubud - Ubud to the airport. When I pay him I say that I'll just give him 200,000 rupiah because he borrowed 150,000 the day before for petrol. Seems he forgot his wallet again and needed the cash now. He's good for it he reckons when he meets me off the fast boat.
I fell for the "Hurry get in the cidomo your boat is leaving", trick at Bangsal. After a very short ride - 20,000 rupiah, I had a 40 minute wait on the beach before the boat left. The boat was packed to the gunwales as usual but the trip was uneventful.
Gili Air looks pretty much the same as my last visit but there's a lot of building happening. They have a shiny new ATM too now. Checked out a few place, most of them had bungalows available. Around the 200 to 250,000 rupiah mark. I settled on Star Bar Bungalows up near the top of the island. Only recently built, they look really nice. They even have sit-down toilets with toilet paper - not used to that.







No comments:

Post a Comment